Saturday, June 23, 2012

Little Bird Nests without Nuts

P put some skins in Zia's toy box and then choo-choo'd her around the house yesterday. She loved it. I assumed because of the boy :). Then, I repeatedly found her in it for the rest of the day. Chatting to her toys all comfy like. Then, last night, she kept plodding over E's pile of pillows (they play on the bed post-bath) and sitting in the center. Girl likes to be all nest-y cuddled :)

But I'm thinking we'll be all nest-y nut free. She never did have a physical reaction to almonds but E mentioned many times that she seems grumpier. But there's teething and tiredness and hunger and just general I can't tell you what I want baby angst... So in my infinite wisdom, we tried peanuts this week :)

And man did they taste Good. P requested it - he wanted to test 'em (again;) He tried a couple of months ago and became so rage-y it was both shocking and heartbreaking. At one point he stood in the living room, fists shaking, screaming "I feel so Angry!!!! And I don't know why!!!". A little later (after hugs ;) I mentioned maybe it was peanuts. He threw out the rest of his snack bag :)

But who knows, so we tried Again :) Healthy(ish) no bake bars. Oh the joy of having a handy dandy snack! By the second batch (in three days;) I was doubled over with stomach pain. I figured my post baby recess was finally over and my monthly mistress was returning with a monster's vengeance. Which got worse and worse until E was pushing for a Dr visit and I was actually taking Advil around the clock to be able to keep up with the kids. Dude. I don't even take medicine for childbirth. It Hurt. But each morning it would be mysteriously better. And my mistress still didn't show... Then I had a mid-morning no bake bar and the pain started within bites. Hmmmm

So I googled it. Yup. A peanut sensitivity can show up as horrid stomach pains. Great. Who knew?

Meanwhile, P was out. of. control. Seriously. And rather than trying to love him through it? I was raising my voice, over talking and criticizing, playing the part of Queen Bee-otch quite nicely. My mouth would run before I could grab it. :( I was surprising myself and I just kept thinking, my periods have never been this psycho... or painful...

About the time of my Google epiphany, P surprised himself. They were around the corner, so I didn't see the event, but Zia suddenly cried the most heart wrenching cry. When I lifted her up I glanced at P and could tell by his face. Shock. Sorrow. Guilt. He had hit her. A first.

She wasn't hurt, just her heart :(. Watching them recover was amazing. She cried her little eyes out as P looked at me and said, "I hit her. I did and I didn't. I didn't want to. But I just did." Then he came and sat by us and touched her head and she totally stopped crying and looked at him. He stroked her face and she leaned into him and smiled. Then he leaned forward so they could nose nuzzle (they do Eskimo kisses a lot). She smiled. He smiled. Wow. Forgiveness and redemption without a single word :)

I never asked him what happened. It was obvious he was shocked and ashamed it happened and I didn't want to play the part of lemon juice. And I don't think it will happen again. At least, not until she's much bigger. Or he starts eating peanuts again...

We threw out the rest of the no-bake bars. And for good measure, I'm taking an almond break. Just in case Superman is right and she's a little grumpy ;). P was bummed about skipping peanut butter again, but he Totally sees how much it effects him. So much for my "If there's no rashes or red butts we're eating it" rule. As totally crazy as it sounds, P and I are both nuts when we eat that particular nut. But I can have dairy, so I'm down with that ;).

So, no nuts, no seeds, no nightshades (had a tiny bit of red pepper in something yesterday and Z had gas pains and a rash:() and no eggs. I think we're getting this figured out!



No comments: