Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Scientist




P's always enjoyed problem solving, but he's become unusually systematic about it of late (though solutions still often feature the fantastic;). After tasting a bowl of honey o's one morning, he pushed it aside, claiming it tasted yucky. He was a bit grumpy and unresponsive that morning :) Assuming he just preferred another breakfast, I offered some options and then joined him for breakfast with my bowl of o's. They did taste yucky :) Not the typical sour milk taste, but almost metalic. I chuckled and told him I agreed, yucky metal o's.

His interest was piqued. He sat for a few minutes munching his second breakfast and then told me we better throw the spoon away, it was the only metal in the bunch. I agreed again, but wondered aloud how the metal on the spoon would get into our o's...

He sat for a few more minutes and then requested a bowl of dry o's and a glass of plain milk, so he could determine the origin of the yuck. It was the milk :)

The next day, ultimately impressed with access to an ice machine, the little man just couldn't help himself. And so the experiments began. First in his mouth, then his hand, then a glass of water, milk, bowl of ice. Then the theories went into the Hot outdoors. How fast would a cube melt in the shade vs the sun? On me? On the brick vs grass? On brick vs metal? Metal in the shade vs the hot, hot metal on the top of Gramp's cooker? (That was Super fast, in case you're wondering.) Then to the pool, for even more experiments... and just throwin'.



He never called this time "science class" or "experiments." We weren't on schedule with some "curriculum." He was curious and followed his curiosity...he was just having fun. But its hit me this summer that this is the sort of stuff that I"ll have to translate into "school-ese" for filing purposes to "prove" that my kid is healthy and learning. I wish I could just file: We. Have. Fun :)

No comments: