Sunday, August 10, 2008

Smores and Artichokes


So P is really into smores lately. Some library book inspired this new treat and he decided a quest for marshmallows was in order (most marshmallows having pointless food coloring in them, of course...) So we landed some last week, along with the other fixins and then just had the missing campfire to solve....

Smores, from my childhood, were fire based, special-moments-in-life sorta things. With our gas stove and his recent obsession they are breakfast or lunch for P :) I adore roasted marshmallows, so it works well for both of us :)

His other recent food fanaticism is artichokes. He has requested these beauties at the store many times before, but the work of steaming and stuffing always led me to other fun new items ( brussel sprouts - two thumbs up, asparagus, two raving thumbs up, kumquats, no thanks! ) But we finally joined the Park Slope Food Coop (yay!!! I'm holding my breath hoping my work shift with P will go smoothly, he's feeling torn:) and the price and his enthusiasm couldn't be ignored. So he helped me stuff them and waited less than patiently while they steamed. After having so many excited expectations about these "mini trees" I hoped he wouldn't be crestfallen at the limited quantity of food. Forgettaboutit. The kid was thrilled to pluck and suck his whole artichoke. And much of mine. And E's... So we'll do that double batch next time, but until then he's going through a jar of prepared artichokes every three days....

No comments: