Saturday, July 14, 2012

Last bit of catch up...

I'm almost through my old pics! Tired of reading yet, Mom?!;). Here we go....

Zia started running this week. She is fast. She squats all the time, plays with a toy (slowly moving from just mouthing to also playing...) then pops up and she's off! Today, I caught her trying to jump. A few times. She also practices steps as often as she can. Going so far as to orchestrate the challenge by laying flat pillows in her own wake. She can walk up and down steps that are a couple inches high, but full on stairs, obviously;) are still too tall for her wee legs. The dancing is what gets me the most. I was strumming the guitar this morning and she started bouncing and running and trying to jump. I stopped and she came over, patted my hand into the guitar and then started bouncing/running and laughing as soon as I strummed again. Talk about finding joy in music. (I was plucking P's out of tune kid guitar:). I will skip my 9 months, sigh, bit this time, as I obviously find ridiculous joy in the babe ;)

P has been showing pride in his home, randomly cleaning with our new fave, The Magic Sponge (where was this item hiding for so long?!). He's also started vacuuming and helping put away groceries. It was such a natural progression, I didn't think about it until I started this blog entry, actually. I mean, he's not suddenly a full time homemaker ;) but he is participating of his own accord (ie., unasked) in house keeping duties. When it suits him ;)

And he started really reading. This, I tell you, has been a Joy to watch. Right after Z was born, he asked for some reading help and we practiced letters for a week or two. Then it was just more than we got around to, honestly. I just unpacked some early readers Thursday and he took a look and... he could read them. Like fucking magic. I always believed the *theory* of unschooling, but it is way cool to see it Actually Happen :). So far, it is the same with math. He does multiplication and division (addition and subtraction, too;) pretty regularly, but not in a traditional schooling framework. I think if he was quizzed, at this point, he wouldn't be able to answer many math questions, despite the understanding of how the systems behind the math works. But he mused on primes a few months ago, without ever being told which numbers are divisible, or what divisible even is. I trust, especially in the wake of this reading bit, that the language and specifics will come, eventually. I'm glad we've been patient. I'm thankful we live in a country that allows homeschooling so that we could watch the beauty of natural learning unfold (Germany, I'm looking at You). I'm hopeful he won't get too flustered at the long road that becoming a reader really is, and that it will remain an excitement to him...

Done! All caught up on the last few weeks' photos, just as the baby stretches and wakes. I think she grew in her sleep....


No comments: