Saturday, May 9, 2009

Gardening in the sky


As I mentioned a few weeks ago, P has been crazy for gardening this spring. It gives me midwestern pangs, truthfully :) Yardless, and gone for the month of July, a garden isn't really in the cards for us right now. But that's no reason the little man can't dig in the dirt and watch something grow! So we sprouted some peas and watched with delight while they grew tall and strong on our windowsill. A little batch of flowers beckoned us at the hardware store and some home sprouted basil looked like it might make it if planted so.... out the window we went. Four floors up with a curious four year old on a 100 year old fire escape provided the added excitement that mellow gardening usually lacks :) P loved the whole experience. A week of rain and everything is getting taller and greener and P can hardly contain himself until he can pick his own peas!



The little gardener:

2 comments:

A said...

i'm free in July if you need anyone to water plants :) i'm hoping to start my own little garden on the fire escape soon. except i'm not as daring as p... i'll only sit from the window! the shaking of the f.e. freaks me out!! :)

Jac said...

oooo - I bet your window box will be so lovely - can't wait for all of the flower pics to come!

and no doubt about the shaking - I understand Blaine better every time I step out on the thing! :)