Friday, May 22, 2009

Dumbo: Twice a day keeps the Dr. away...





We had an errand to run en route to the library last week that took us to Dumbo. The day was Gorgeous. Seriously beee-u-tiful. Post errand, P developed a plan: the beach. But our books were due at the library, so the stop wasn't optional, and we'd already gotten a late start on our day... (um, we get a late start Every day :) So we compromised a plan and scooted away smiling.

We hit the rock beach between the bridges and it was heavenly. We boulder hopped, rock tossed and boat watched. Imaginary BB was atop most of the rocks that P tossed and P would yell out over the water "BB!!! Oh, BB! What did you think of that? Are you in the water? Are you clinging to that rock? Do you feel something brushing past your toes?" Giggle, giggle. Grab new rock. Toss.





When our designated time had come and gone we sped off to the library where P loaded up on more books. (We're burning through the books these days and just finished the sweetest stories by Brooklyn writer Emily Jenkins. ("Toys Go Out" and "Toy Dance Party.") These books are freakin' fantastic. The characters are so well developed that their voices seemed predetermined to me. The toys positively popped off of the pages, always sounding completely themselves. And the stories were so lovely and true - with just enough adventure and honest, rough emotions to keep a sensitive four year old identifying with and begging for more of, without ever upsetting him too much. Versus, say, James and the Giant Peach, where the parents get knocked off on the first page and the child is beaten by the third. Totally great book, just a bit Too Much emotion for P right now. Needless to say, we started that one and didn't get very far, despite P's Roald Dahl addiction ;))

Anyhoo... After the library and dinner with E, P believed another trip to Dumbo was necessary :) We played on the sandy beach this time, rock hopping again and watching the sun move over the city.



And I wondered, again, if P recognizes the beauty in the city or if its just a boring backdrop for him. Cuz looking though the bridges towards downtown at sundown is breathtakingly magical.



But that's probably not fair. As a Kansan who is still blown over by this city, despite how long I've lived here, I've often wondered if a long-lived local really sees the grace and grandeur of the skyline. (Like the poem featured on the subway last fall; the transplants are the heart of NYC because we appreciate it so very much :) And said poem (yay to Aunt Alicia!!! You can read it here) also mentioned how the native New Yorkers viewed their metropolis (less love.) When I read this, guilt slapped me. Are we ruining things for P? After all, he'll have few choices of where to live in terms of comparable food options outside the city :) Museum options, check. Social, theatrical, musical...check, check, check.... Here I go again, plant a heart shaped transplant sign on my head :)

..........................

True to form, I started this post when the week began (I know, I know, if I wasn't so verbose and didn't procrastinate uploading my pics there'd be fewer problems ;), so some things have changed already. Like my worries about P's appreciation (or lack thereof). Silly mama. I've decided, I don't think its due to where a kid grows up, but how the kid grows up. And P is pretty bathed in blessings talk around here :) And then I realized, osmosis has done its job again. When we were at our community garden yesterday, the child, rounding a rose strewn path, sighed and said, "Isn't it lovely, Mama?" I hear that A Lot from the little man. (Today it was the subway smell he cherished! He said he wanted to put it in a bottle and take it home :) So, then I came home and uploaded the pics from our Dumbo day and saw his face as he gazed across the darkening city... and I knew it. Yah, the kid treasures stuff :)

2 comments:

A said...

Dumbo in one day would make me insanely happy... twice in one day, LUCKY! Beautiful pictures!!!

http://aliandsethinthecity.blogspot.com/2008/10/3-types-of-new-yorkers.html

Is this the one you were looking for? That's the only one I can think it might be, unless it was not ever on mine.

O and I completely relate to the subway smell. I've gotten used to it, but every now and then it is exceptionally smelly and I am reminded, that despite it's not-so-pleasant smell, it's also one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable. And if you guys figure out how to bottle it up, I think I'll need a bottle of it when/if we ever leave the NYC.

...Oooo the magic of NY. People often don't see it quite like we do, Midwesterners coming in... but how amazing that P sees the value of it from you!

Jac said...

Yayyyyy! Thanks Ali! That's it!!!

And we'd bottle that beauty up for ya IF you ever left. But since we're keeping you here Forever, well, you won't need it (insert evil mwaahaahaa laugh here)!