Sunday, November 21, 2010

Colorado Quickie


Bound and determined to see my bff's new babe, P and I just did our first solo roadtrip.  And it was a blast.  I was a tiny titch nervous, seeing how last year's roadtrip to Colorado found me fulltiming it in the back seat with the Little Man... and I wouldn't be in the back seat this time....  But the kid was seriously self sufficient.  He snacked and watched a video on the way out (and I sent up silent thanks to the library's DVD section.)  I expected more of the same on the return trip, but the kid surprised me by sitting in his seat for EIGHT hours.... just chillin'.  He chatted with me and looked out the window.  Played with a toy.  Chatted and looked out the window.  For EIGHT hours.  (Just as a point of comparison, the same trip took us about 12 hours last year and was fairly painful...) I'm seeing endless road trip possibilities here...

The visit itself was fabulous too.  The boys are two of his favorite friends ever, and he played with them, non-stop, our entire stay.  The child was introduced to Nerf Guns and, truly, thought he had died and gone to heaven.  They turned off the lights, ran and hid and cackled and chased and laughed.  It was delightful.  They sat and plotted paper airplane approaches and then folded and taped and cut their way through an afternoon.  It was so touching to eavesdrop and hear them chat with such consideration and camaraderie.  Then, at one point, I saw him try on this mask and the ridiculousness of the size on his small form just cracked me up...  Ahhh, fun with friends.  Just can't be beat!

3 comments:

A said...

Sounds like such fun!! Wish I were in that car riding down I-70 with you too... (Not gonna lie, this makes me want to take some time off work and have babies - but the ones who come out 6 years old ;)

Jac said...

Oh! I want you to have six year old babies and play with us too!!!!! :)

Jac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.