Monday, January 19, 2009

Phoenix's Fabulous Fort



Our bedroom is on the small size. I think in real estate jargon its typically termed "nursery or office." But all we need it for is bed jumping and sleeping, so we've dedicated our larger rooms to eating (which we do A Lot) and playing (also, A Lot;) and left the "bat-cave" as E lovingly refers to it, to the beds. After two years of beds filling, quite literally, wall to wall to wall (they do not touch the fourth wall, which is the doorway:), my feng shui snobbery is getting the better of me. We plan to loft the twin, giving us some actual floorspace between the walls not covered by a mattress. To test out the idea, E and I took turns this weekend heaving boxsprings over our head to see what it would really be like. We liked it :)

P liked it even more. Pillows and blankets were piled about. His chairs moved to make room. Boxsprings were piled against the wall. Unused to clutter (since neither E nor I can stand it), the little man felt his house born anew. He started gathering everything up and re-piling it in the cramped bedroom, claiming the newly stacked beds his cave and the pile his "dump." He tossed anything and everything on said pile he could get his hands on. I looked on quietly as I put away laundry (our closet is in the doorway to the bedroom) until he went for the clean clothes :) He was fine with my preferred limit (not to wash all of the clothes Again, after a trip to the "dump") and took to scaling his house instead. He added pillows to the top, calling them his "bricks" and long paper rolls, calling them his "pipes." I quickly morphed into a nameless "work-lady." As in, "Work-lady, could you please help me lay these bricks? Work-lady, do you know how to lay pipe?" and "Work-lady, do you want to climb on the roof with me?" and lastly, "Work-lady, do you want to jump off of the roof with me?"

It was my birthday that day, so it was with a light heart that I left the dump behind and went to a movie ;) Two hours later, a happy child met me at the theater and when we wandered home, the bat-cave-dump had re-materialized into our little bedroom. Aww, isn't he a good husband?

No comments: