Saturday, October 25, 2008

Season's change



For skipping school, our week has grown surprisingly busy :) So by Friday, we're ready to chill and stay close to home. In the past, P would enter hermit mode after so much interaction, but these days he retreats less and less. Occasionally, we join the homeschoolers meet-up in the park but usually I plan an uneventful day with a ride in the trees providing our biggest climax. But then Yoav's Mama suggested we meet briefly to return some items to one another and P loved the idea of seeing them. This is the kid who would be overwhelmed with one playdate a week just last summer :)

As trade time neared it no longer worked for our friends, their out of town guest had arrived. I was shocked when P was thoroughly disappointed (he's always seemed more relieved than anything else when an outing is cancelled, unless the outing is with Uncle Seth :) I walked into the bathroom as I validated his feelings. As he bemoaned the turn of events I offered up myself. "I'm still here to play with you and we can still bike in the park if you'd like" I called out. Me, always the ultimate trump card, at least he still had that. I was glad I was in the next room when he bellowed back, "Noooo, Frieeeeeends!!!"

Honestly, my jaw could have been cracked on the cold tile floor right then. The only thing that saved it was the simultaneous smile. It was the strangest mix of emotions. Joy that he was forming attachments outside of myself and just a twist of sadness that his focus would only continue to shift (its just a hop, skip and jump until he lives half way across the country, never calling, never writing, just like his fabulous father does to his parents:) The day I'd been waiting for was finally here, wax and waning of this growth aside, we had just hit a major milestone.

Setting out on our bike and scooter with BB (for his friend) under the autumn leaves, my attention to him was more keen, my enjoyment of him a little more sharp that afternoon. It really hit me, these days are numbered...

No comments: