Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lost: One Baby Brother

E and I have often wondered what P would Really do if Baby Brother was lost. What, with all of the torturing and tossing, the stories based on BB's demise or sudden disappearance, it Seemed like P wasn't as attached as we'd think. It was a sick curiosity, but we were really curious nonetheless :)

Then it happened. We ran errands with my mom and BB only to return with something missing. I just couldn't imagine How it could have happened, I watch BB as if he were one of my own :) But there it was, he was nowhere. I called each store as P, obviously distressed but attempting strength nonetheless, sat on the floor watching my every move, looking for cues on how to handle this sort of situation. When the calls came up empty P whimpered. "But Where is He??!!" Then I remembered a store P went in with just my mom. Had BB gone with? I couldn't remember. One more call and the shop owner said she had him, but was closing shop.

When I told P BB was going to spend the night elsewhere his world tumbled. His eyes welled up, his face turned pink, his bottom lip protruded and his eyes Begged me. "Mama," his voice quavered, "mama, no. He can't. Mama, please get him. Why? Why can't we get him. I need him, mama. I need him Now."

A sweet shop owner located next door (the toy store we had visited that day) was open for another hour and held BB for us. When E returned home with BB P hunkered down on the floor with him and purred "I promise to Never forget you. Ever. Again."

No comments: