Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Snow in June






Granted, its much, much cooler here than Kansas or New York in June, but not that cold ;)  We drove all the way up the mountain this last weekend, as P keeps catching glimpses of the snow topped peak and requesting snowball scrimmages ;)  

I didn't hold out toooo much hope for finding big drifts, but figured we could muster up a snowball or two... Oh how wrong I was :)  We were pretty impressed when we rounded the bend and the mountain top sat there, right in front of us.  We parked against a snowdrift and the child, literally, jumped out of the car, scrambling into the 15 foot white wall.  Happy happy joy joy :)

We noticed a trail going towards the peak and headed that way.  It was lovely, if not a wee bit treacherous.

P, making snowballs and watching them roll down the steep hill, gathering mass as they went.

Once we reached more solid ground, snowball fighting ensued. (The snow was a clean, bright white - I wish I'd had more than my phone with me, since it gives the snow a dirty look in these shots - but the sun was too bright for me to see how things were turning out, so I was just pointing and shooting blind;)

The boys worked up a sweat in the sun (it was rather warm to begin with, despite the white fluffy stuff) and P was tickled to hike back with just a t-shirt. Here, he stops to collect some interesting pinecones...

The closest thing I've got to the much requested belly shot ;)


On the drive back down, we stopped at an alpine slide.  That happened to be home to a downhill biking race (just ended) that afternoon.  We picnicked and watched the bigger boys bounce around on their fancy bikes while the child asked lots of questions about ski lifts and alpine slides.  He really wanted to go, but he just wasn't sure how he felt about going without me.   I knew there would be too much belly bumping with him riding between my legs, so Papa was the best solution.  Curiosity and excitement got the better of him and he solemnly held my had all the way to the lift, then took his father's and up up up they went.


As soon as they hit the bottom, the child started planning his next run ;) 

We headed home a bit high with the happiness of it all.  Such a fabulous afternoon outing, and we actually live here?  Its been a nice relief to not be constantly pining for NYC, like the last time we tried moving away :) 


No comments: