Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ewwwwwwwwwww

For future reference: these smell like flowers.

I really like our new library.  Fortunately, P hasn't mentioned missing his dearly loved librarian from Mulberry Street (yet) and seems satisfied, too.  This branch is small, only three short blocks away (and one of those is a lovely little tree covered pedestrian short-cut) and, of course, very friendly.  P likes to collect on the way there.  And on the way home :)


Speaking of collecting...  As we moved something into the house the other day, E and I were struck by a horrible ungodly stench on the front porch.  Like, something rotting.  We eyed one of P's collecting bins that had been slightly neglected... containing crab and sand dollar stuffs.  I would have bent over and sniffed to verify our parental shame, but bending over is ridiculously hard these days (and I've only just started my third trimester?!?!  What???  I appear to be gestating a future female linebacker.  All of us had a really hard laugh tonight at the (impossible) thought of this baby still having another three months of growing to do....).  And why go through the discomfort when the culprit seemed soooo very obvious? 

So I mentioned to P that this particular collection needed some, er, attention.  He vehemently denied the possibility.  We finished moving the large, heavy object (I was moral support) when P proudly announced he had found the origin of the smell stench.  A flower, just blooming, beside the house.  Nahhhh, we both chuckled, its the crab carcasses.  No, really, he tells me, its this flower!  Come smell it!

Now, the child has been in a "trickster" mood of late.  Nothing pleases him more than jumping out at us and getting a good screech or telling us the milk is all gone and then pulling out half a bottle.  I assumed we were in tricky mode and walked to the gargantuan blossom (about a foot long) and took in a great, big whiff.

Oh. My. Gawd.  

It reeked.  Like, seriously, sticking your nose deep down inside a rotting, dead deer kind of reeked.  As I forcefully exhaled through my nose, trying to dislodge every small particle I had just inhaled, E, the safely schnozzed pussy, peeked doubtfully around the side of the house.  P laughed his ass off.

If anyone knows what this thing is, please tell us.  The scent has faded away by today, but there's another one about to unfurl....


Next week's stench on a strangely spotted stick...

No comments: