Thursday, December 15, 2011

Freakshow flyers, take two...



I'm not doing so hot on the weekly posts I promised myself...  Lots of pics piling up here that I want to journal!  Now I just need time!  Lol.

We made it back.  But with a few bumps ;)  I figured the baby would be rough, turns out the seven year old had the hardest time :(

P is a pro traveller.  Seriously, pro.  But he started with a headache at the Wichita airport...  I shrugged it off as hunger (he hadn't eaten well all day) or sinus (he's still stuffy from his last cold).  But when Grandpapa rubbed P's back and P pushed him away, I was shocked.  Sooooo not P.  And definitely not P with one of his favorite people on earth.  Moments later as we tried to go through security, he was almost falling apart (and the baby decided she was suddenly starving)...

By the time we were half way to Denver, he had spiked a high fever and was the picture of pale misery.  By the time we landed in Denver, the child was in tears.  By the time we made it it our gate (after hovering by trash cans and carried by Superman) he was actually wailing.  The child never cries in public.  He (sadly) hates to even cry in front of E.  I was seriously shocked and a bit worried.  His head hurt him so badly he was nauseous and clambered onto my lap.  Not one for most meds, I sent Superman on a serious hunt for Ibuprofen.  

Drugged and lethargic, P patiently waited for our next flight.  That was delayed.  And delayed again.  Zia decided she needed to be bounced non-stop, so this was actually a blessing.  



After dragging our carry-ons, kids and cat onto a full flight, the child dazed out... only to barf half way across country.  (Fortunately, seeing his face, I'd already stuck a barf bag in front of him.  Honestly, I'd always wanted to see somebody use one of those things.  Childhood curiosity checked off of the list ;)  The baby didn't' have any interest in sleeping, each announcement woke her all day.  So she flirted and cooed at passengers until she was miserable and finally zonked.  Until the next announcement.

And after doing a stellar job of holding her poo all day, she finally erupted with business as we landed.  Which necessitated a quite lengthy cleaning and changing job in the bathroom.  Which meant the evening announcement for "Passengers arriving from Denver on Frontier airlines, please pick up your baggage, Frontier is closing" was meant for us :)  (Insert mental image of as many carry-ons as possible flopping behind two people carrying kids (and a quite pissed cat).  At top speed, through an empty airport.)  And you know how much I love Portland?  When we got to the empty baggage area, the lady thanked us for coming to get our bags.  In a sincere way.  People are just freakin' nice here (not that Brooklyn didn't have its perks, just saying').

And then we made it home.  Intact ;)  You know, I had three separate people come up to me with pitying remarks that day.  (Sweetly put pitying remarks, like, "Oh, you must be exhausted.")  But I have to admit, I was surprised each time.  Writing it out like this it sounds a bit nightmarish (and I love a little flair for written drama), but it was actually a pretty nice family outing.  Really.  I just love my family so freakin much, getting to spend the day with all three, squished up next to them where they can't get away from me, its pretty sweet :)

1 comment:

A said...

Ooo poor P!! I can't imagine being that sick when you are traveling - traveling alone makes me sick, but to actually start a day of flying that way! What a miserable sounding flight (& btw, I totally USED one of those bags on a plane -- damn motion sickness... now I have a nagging fear every single time I fly that I might need to use one again & as an adult, I'd be mortified! But it doesn't stop me from ALWAYS checking that one is within reach!!)

Miss you all! Give the P & Z hugs and smooches for us! xo, a