Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sick in the summer


Blogging in the middle of the day?  The child is solidly chillin', so.... :)

Poor kid has a summer cold.  He seemed a bit miffed that he could be sick, "But, Mama, I've been washing my hands?"  

Then, as I made lunch, I looked down at the kid and had to smile.  For whatever reason, one of his pancakes was placed on his ear.  He was lounging naked on the "floor bed" (he'd wanted to go back to bed this morning (but I find it difficult to fry pancakes in the bedroom and he didn't want to be alone) so we settled on a kitchen bed.)  He was staring off into space, imagining the world of Pompeii as the volcano rumbles... (My throat is tortured too, so yesterday's book-a-thon is being supplemented by other readers in the form of the Magic Tree House books.)   Despite his cold, he looked supremely content.

I kinda love it when the kid gets a cold.  I mean, its hard to look out the window on a sunny day without sighing, and I certainly don't enjoy catching the kid's colds... not to mention the child's obvious discomfort (I'm not a totally selfish bitch:)   But I like the Mama I become when his boogers blossom.  He's sick.  I feel like a whiney shmuck when I'm sick, so my empathy flows and any nasty expectations (those things that ruin happiness) fall away when the kid needs extra cuddles.  His wants to be carried make sense.  Any food pickiness has an obvious bodily cause and causes me no dismay.  Any outbursts or lack of self-control reminds me of the restless sleep from last night and I don't tense up and judge.  And thanks to all of this, the kid usually transforms into an angel :)  Seriously, when will I learn to be accepting all of the time?   

I'm sure the fact that the kid is kinda quiet and I have a little space in my head helps too...  but still!  Ooop!  I'm being invited back to the floor-bed.  I'm sure lounging around on the floor mid-day helps too ;)


1 comment:

Emily said...

Sweet ;) I'm reading "Simplicity Parenting" now and I just finished the chapter about "Soul Sickness" - basically when the emotional state of the child is sick and he goes step-by-step what to do, comparing it to physical illness - basically slowing everything down, staying in, cuddling, etc... Funny to see your post just after reading it!