Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thank you notes and the postman



So, you got P a Solstice or Christmas gift and you're wondering.... Did he get it? Did he like it? Does his mother have Any Sense of social customs and propriety??? Yah, yah, yah, I know. My guilt is monstrously large, but my hands are tied here...

The week after the holidays I started to buy some thank-you cards, explaining to P I wanted to thank everyone that had given him gifts. He seemed offended that I would even consider it. He explained to me that He wanted to thank everyone. And, he wanted to Make All of the Cards. Great! Sounds like fun. So we pulled out some craft supplies only to find that actually, he was in the mood to paint landscapes right then :)

So the weeks passed and I offered to help set him up occasionally. But pressuring him wasn't really what I was interested in, because, honestly, isn't a heartfelt, handmade card from a truly thankful four year old worth the wait? Anybody can pump out a coerced battery of thank you's.... or so I assuaged my rising guilt.

And then the day came that he was infinitely inspired. He requested his paints and made about 20 Valentines and a slew of thank you's.



The day turned dark and still he folded, pasted, painted, designed and dictated (all the winding prose you will read is straight from P). Then he was hot to deliver, mail man style. He plopped BB and all of the valentines (gracefully signed with a large, silver "P") into his shopping cart and told me he was ready to go. Ummm, where? It was 9 at night in February, cold and dark. He said he was ready to give his Valentines to all of the neighbors :)

So we trotted off, him happily humming his way down the street, delivering homemade hearts to people he doesn't even know. I hope they brought smiles to some. Once they were all dispersed he wanted to return home to paint more, but the bed called to us and it all was set aside by the following afternoon. So, that's to say, long story short, chances are your card is setting on our table at home, awaiting proper postage... while P and I have fun in Florida visiting Grams and Gramps.... Can guilt cause ulcers?

No comments: