Monday, October 22, 2007

P and Public Peeing





After a lazy morning and a nice nap we wanted one last date with our city before heading to Kansas for a month. More in the mood for mellow than mayhem, we headed to Dumbo. Get the view yet skip, mostly, the tourists.

Its so very Global Warming, but the day was deliciously warm with a little fall breeze added in. We hit the tiny beach first and P made sand homes for all of his cars. Eventually, shouting over the roar of the subway above wore on me and we wandered the park path to the stone beach by the playground. P's favorite pastime with a great view. We chucked rocks and watched people flock to the fashion show across the way. Someone had created a teeter totter out of driftwood on the beach and another family joined us as we tried to balance each other out. P was playing monkey and miraculously didn't get his body squished under the huge board.

After the sun had set and we watched the city light up for the night we walked to dinner. I love eating out with Phoenix because trying new foods excites him so very much. I wish I had the dedication to make something new every night, but we do a lot of ol' reliables at home. The food at Rice was inventive and enjoyable and it was fun to watch him find new flavors.

None of us were ready for the day to end so we wandered back to the water, this time to the view beside the River Cafe (bottom picture, above). One of my mom's favorite local eateries, the River Cafe is no pizza joint. It lies down its own cobbled street, lined with trees lit with beautiful lights, overlooking the water and the city. The food is rated remarkable and there is a dress code. When Phoenix saw the setting he was inspired. "I love this place! It my favorite! I want to stay here forever and ever! Mama, see how pretty it is? Holy Shoot!" He was Dying to walk down the street into the restaurant's area and I really didn't know the protocol. I figured we weren't walking into the actual Restaurant, it couldn't hurt to just walk Around it. So we wandered down, Phoenix getting more and more excited by the additional lights and flowers and the little waterfall. We peered around all of the potted plants and the little garden across from the suited men and then P shimmied between two flower pots. I imagined he was captured by some unusually pretty leaf, as he was standing Really close to the ivy covered wall. I glanced down to see what held his interest and saw.... his penis. He was pottying on the ivy. Granted, he had chosen an impressively private space, but he was nonetheless peeing Right in Front of the Door to the River Cafe. (Myopic mother that I am, one of my first thoughts was that he had been able to pull the front of his pants down by himself this time.) I told myself that no one noticed and tried to chuckle loudly enough to drown out his proud explanation of "I water those plants!" Ahhh.

We were a little sad to say goodnight to the city, and goodbye for the next month, but this incident did make me look forward to being on the farm for a bit where he can pee as he pleases :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great photo of the city! Nice eye!