Friday, September 21, 2007

September 20: Ethan turns 35


So yesterday was E's birthday. Poor schlep, he had to work. But Phoenix, ever the altruist (hah), decided Papa needed a pumpkin pie for his birthday. He Loves to cook! Especially, of course, if it involves a motor-run cooking item (ie blender). He takes it very seriously, wanting to help right from the start (getting out the ingredients) to the finish (lots of pretend play with hot pads) and wants as minimal of help from me as possible. His favorite sense to use is, by far, his nose and cooking lets him revel in "mells." (Sidenote: we were downtown searching for a playground one day and the streets had throngs of people: smells galore. Every couple of seconds Phoenix asked "what that (s)mell?" After much dialoge and food laden descriptions I told him there were a lot of smells and I couldn't be sure what smell he was smelling. He looked at me like I was a moron; a look of pity, not condescension. "No, (s)mell with My nose mama," he said ;)

So the pie. It was his first experience personally cooking pumkin pie and he was particularly excited about the canned pumkin. As he fondled it and rolled it on the cabinet he told me "I like this very much. Its my favorite stuff I not tried before." We opened it and I gave him a spoon to lick and then proceded to grab more ingredients. I heard some gagging sounds in the background but they sounded benign and I didn't pay them much heed. A couple of seconds later he said "Please put this away. I no like that smell, I'm almost puking." :)

The pie was a success. P ate a piece for dinner, followed by a bowl of chili, then a request for a bowl of peas (random, right?) and then another piece of pie. Ethan had a piece too :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy #@$! - he looks like E in that picture. Great story! Duh mom - smell with your nose!