Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Party Prep and costume catastrophes

Well, best laid plans go awry and all that jazz, right?

Historically, I procrastinate. But I've changed my tune and start ahead these days. P's party prep began a Month ago. The whole concept stresses me out and, dammit, I was not going to be up all night the night before. So I started early.

Miles of surprise pendant bunting have been cut and bound (and then discovered by the boy. Sigh). We implemented project Goodie Bag weeks in advance (he has some high hopes). And, of course, Halloween can't be forgotten in the midst of party prep, so I started sewing costumes a month in advance, too...

And I am being met with Failure at every turn. Pity me? ;)

Fine. The bunting, despite the fact it was found, is fine. The cast dragon crayons, lovely. The chocolate dragons, well....

As of last weekend, I would have reported success as we finished over half of them. Then the chocolate started melting funny and we quit crafting for a few days. Then, looking in on our previous successes tonight I found them covered in spots. Fuck. Our dragons had chicken pox or something!

Google quickly told me I was a dumb arse who had not properly researched chocolate making and therefore did not properly temper my candies. The fix? Soooo not going to happen (remelting and retempering and recasting). This made me want to spit and cuss. Instead, I pulled P into the kitchen and pointed.

"I love them even more! It looks like scales! They are spotted dragons!"

Yes, they are spotted. With improperly tempered fat globules. I guess we'll see if his guests give two shits about such surface imperfections or are just happy for chocolate handouts....

So, assuming we finish sewing the handmade dragon books (um, not kidding) in time, and can get some more chocolate to melt (and then spot), I guess the goodie bags are good to go.

Which only leaves the costume failure to whine about....

Z hates stuff on her head (or arms or butt or legs, but it's a bit chilly for "Hair" reenactments) so I made her a Red Riding cape with a dramatic, high, gathered collar (in lieu of a hood that she would Hate). I upcycled an old coat and even lined her new beau Brummell (and I seriously have no idea how to sew.). I'll admit to being pretty pleased with myself. Imagined her wearing it all winter, loving it.

Reality? She Hates it. Loooooathes it. Will not put it on her body and Shrieks if it comes near her.

Honestly? She's one. I'd skip the whole thing, were it not so important to her brother.

So I made her a new one tonight. Shorter. No gathered collar. And lined with a circle pattern, since she's all about the dots lately. She graciously carried it for a minute. We'll see tomorrow night....

Meanwhile, the Little Man's grand Russian Doll plans are unfolding. He will be Phoenix, under a Harry Potter costume, under a Ghost costume. (Get it?) Only problem? The ghost costume elicited Ku Klux Klan fears in
me upon today's trial run. That, coupled with the discovery of spotted chocolates (and the subsequent consumption of large quantities of failed chocolate trials) has me quite awake quite later than usual.

Which means, that despite decent planning and starting waaaay early, I am still up for most of the night right before his birthday. Maybe it's all of the caffeine/sugar, but I'm finding that funny. Kinda.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

3 words: Best Mama Ever. (just don't tell my Mom I said that!) love love. <3