Thursday, October 7, 2010

We are actually in New York





We've been home for weeks now and I still have so many stories left from our trip!  But I'm gonna fast forward for tonight...  just a little piece of here and now before the glory of going West totally usurps the enchantments of the everyday....


Because I would be sad if I forgot my fave from this week.  


The kid wanted another raspberry corn muffin.  I was busy working on something on the floor, flat on my back.  He retrieved the muffin from the fridge and sat it beside me (yah, on the floor ;) and asked me to warm it in the oven.  I looked him in the eye and nodded then grabbed the muffin and sat it on my belly (I mean, it was on the floor - ewww :)  He repeated that he wanted it heated and I, once again, looked him in the eye, smiled and nodded.  I needed to finish what I was doing, it would only take a second, before I jumped up to the toaster oven.  There was a downbeat and then the child queried quietly, "Is it heating?"  His voice was filled with the wonder that, it seems, really, only a child can have.  Apparently, my nod had so assured him that I would take care of it for him... that he wasn't sure I wasn't already doing it!  That there could be some amazing way that a Mama has to heat a muffin, right there on her ribcage, and nobody has ever told him about it!!  He sounded so sincere and curious it absolutely broke. my. heart.  I freakin' love kids.  


I put the quote on my kitchen wall (he can't read it yet) - hopefully it will serve as a reminder (when I'm feeling all grumpy and full of expectations) of how new the world still is to him ....  Hopefully ;)


So, since I'm having sooo much fun re-living our trip, I'm going to sum up the last few weeks in a few fast phone pics, so I can get back to my vacay filled dreams :)


In the last month, we:


We've done lots of beach here, too.




We explored the fallen trees, downed in the great Brooklyn "tornado."



And tons of park play. (P prefers a particular pile of baseball diamond sand to the peer packed sandpits at playgrounds :)




And P peeped at people from behind a bush. Very, very sneaky.




We took BB on lots and lots of walks.



And we stumbled upon some strange street snake exhibit. (Yah, he's leaning over a live snake pit there.   Ewwwwwww.)




And we played with fabulous family in the park after brunch. (Yah, P is under the pile the robots are mauling...)




And we found a caterpillar (omg.  Hearing a small child say that word is one of my favorite things on earth) in our house.  We built it a house.  We watched with wonder.  It pulled a Houdini...





We got a LOT of rain.  A couple of times.  Yup, that's it going over P's galoshes.



We had fun.




We explored new parts of the city (like the rockin' new Brooklyn park)




And we climbed stuff.




We fell in love with our book club and puppet shows.




And we enjoyed the kids being back in school (unpacked playgrounds - hurrah!)



We made Seth a snack, on which the child dictated a note (we were stamping at the time, so the note had to be stamped ;)  The "bring beer" part hurts my gut.  I love it.






Basicailly, we had fun.




And we felt fortunate.  Really, really, nose to toes sorta fortunate.  Today, the child played and baked and did art and stamped with letters and played chase with the cat and took a long bubble bath with BB and taste-tested homemade jams and listened to me read and swung in his swing (over and over)... and then it was afternoon and he got ready for an outing by packing a bag for Coney Island.  As we wandered to the sub, past the school kids just finding freedom, the child squeezed my hand and told me how happy he is he's not in school.  No doubt :)  


So, our afternoon on the beach was unusually beautiful.  Quiet, nothing special, really.  But I think we were both reveling in our good fortunes  - the ones that found us there together, free and happy.  Happiness really is listening to the waves, watching dry sand blow misty trails over water logged beach, cuddling with your kid...   I mean, I really loved that vacation, but "everyday" isn't so darn bad either ;)

No comments: