Friday, October 29, 2010

The Itsy bitsy spider...




P, on our autumn hobble.

I am bound and determined to chronicle our family trip...someday ;) It'll be snowing out and I'll still be typing "what we did on our summer vacation...."


But we've been busy with... a silly spider bite.  Its simply insane to type that an arachnid could erase a week of walking, but its true.  Its hilarious something so small could down something so big, but it can.  Its shocking that a pinch of poison could produce unending, exquisite pain, but it does.  Along with the venom, a very serious respect for Mother Nature's pint-sized pets has crept into my Being this week.   Along with an endless stream of thanks that it did not bite the Little Man.

The child has been precious through it all.  When I was first looking up spider bites, he was right there, dragging over a chair and clambering up to see what I was seeing.  "Read it out loud, Mama." :)))  As E analyzed the spread of my six inch ring of raised redness all weekend, P would crouch there, serious eyes, studying and suggesting.  After my doctor visit, he repeatedly piped up with quotes from the doctor, reminding me of her instructions.  When he was displeased with the doctor's performance (a whole different disaster) he laid on the bed beside me and told me long stories about how he would... throw rocks at her head (along with other creative, erm, solutions ;)  As I swallowed enough raw garlic to float a pizza parlor (which I credit, along with sheer dumb luck, for the lack of infection in this fiasco thus far), the child offered up his own vitamin C's :)  He consistently told me he was sending my wound Lots Of Love.

And then, today,  thoroughly d.o.n.e. with the long days, trapped at home, standing surrounded by mountains of mixed-objects that I have been unable to pick up for him (and seemingly but silently wishing for a little more Mama play, but never once complaining!), he sighed and said that he sure wished that spider hadn't of bitten me ;)  I so agreed.  

But now that the pain isn't constant and nauseating, I can feel kinda thankful.  It simply gave me a chance to really say "screw it" to our house. Which I never can do for longer than.... half a day? (it adds up fast around here!)  And that alone stretched my mind in interesting ways, despite what CPS would think ;)   Plus, the kid seemed to feel all the piles were kinda fun...

But better yet, it gave P a chance to be super self-sufficient.  He's the kid (so far;) that experiences love through actions (hearing about it doesn't do it for him, physical affection isn't his cup of tea (though he requires lots of physical contact! Its a strange combo...), of course, he loves gifts (duh!) but his love language definitely seems to be actions.)  Its not laziness, he'll jump up to do something for us anytime.  Its just that when he asks us to tie his shoes or put on his t-shirt, its his way of saying, hey, I need love right now, here's how to love me.   And, typically, we're more than happy to show our love in the way he needs it.

But he knew it just wasn't possible this week.  So, he's completely dressed himself (each and every one of the multiple times a day that he changes clothes (which, of course, adds to that "piles" bit).  He's even found and fed himself a number of meals (in addition to bringing me food and water!) He's spent enormous amounts of time playing alone, seemingly happily.  Though he would occasionally forget the current cripple and zoom precariously close to my wound (watching E toss himself between us, screeching in protective horror was, I gotta admit, heartwarming;) The kid was just so understanding.  A number of times, he would start to ask me to do something and suddenly stop, remembering, with a "never mind - its ok."  I mean, he was still (almost!) six.  Its not like the laundry got done or anything ;)  But, honestly, the level of empathy from someone so short was kinda shocking.

So when the child finally sighed his dis-satisfaction, Guilt, ever the motivator for me ;) had me grimacing at my poor, pale faced, flat trapped child.  (The only downside to homeschooling: no substitute teacher.)  So we hobbled on a walk through the woods together.  Me, doped up on a whole Tylenol (I never take anything anymore, so that was huge for me :), him, holding my hand and going at my snail's pace.  We wandered to a meadow and just laid in the grass together, playing games with the sticks we found on the ground beside us.  The leaves were so gorgeous and the fresh breeze and the sun felt absolutely amazing.  I flash-backed to the Heidi Golden Book, feeling stronger just from being outdoors :)

E, on the other hand, scoffed at us when he found out we had lain in the meadow rather than on the mattress.  "Seriously?  I can't believe you guys would go back to the park and lay in the grass.  Last time you did that a spider bit you!"

But it couldn't happen again.  Right?  Which had me thinking about the improbability of it all.  The, according to my doctor, rarity of a true spider bite.  Could it be karma?  Something to produce a little more empathy in me towards E's arachnophobia?  I thought about it while I was brushing my teeth.  Seems like lots of lessons to help me understand loved ones have been surfacing lately, could be possible...  Then I started gut laughing, hysterically spitting toothpaste everywhere, remembering E's (over)reaction to a spider this summer.  Shit.  I'm chuckling just thinking about it now ;)  Ahhh, well, I must be a slow learner.  Guess I'm destined for another bite...  At least the empathetic kid should be in the clear!

No comments: