Thursday, September 16, 2010

Looking Back

The kid, playing with some huge sea plant, on Muir Beach, California.

We've traveled a lot with the kid.  And I feel unbelievably blessed to have traveled to see family in so many places, so many times in the last six years.  Despite our far flung existence, family is everything to us.

But this summer we did something a little different.  Yes, we visited family, but we also traveled just for us.  It was our first (Phoenix) family trip.  The first time we've talked about our wants and dreams and then made it happen.  And now I have a zillion stories (and about as many pictures) and I so want to include them in the Little Man's journal.  But we're still settling in and sleep is short and precious, so... :)

And then tonight, as we went to sleep, the kid rolled over and asked when, oh when, would we take a trip together again?  When would Papa have vacation so the three of us could explore and drive and play like that again???  It was wistful and sweet.  And I couldn't agree more.

And my tear factory nearly heaved thinking about how much I would like to bottle up his childhood; to be able to look at it for forever.  These are sweet, sweet days.  And I'm not bottling by blog very well.  Its all very twisted, really.  In order to completely appreciate this beautiful period, one must be well rested and extremely present.  If one is well rested (and I use that phrase very, very loosely:) and extremely present, one probably doesn't have time for posterity and all that jazz...  Hmmm, nasty conundrum.  Duly noted. (Well, sorry, Daddy, looks like I'll be behind for another day. At least there's a salutation ;)

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh how I know what you mean about bottling childhood! Today as I was just carrying Elie up for nap, he was cuddled in my arms smiling at the thought of cozying up in bed for nap and I wish so much I could remember every detail of moments like this forever. But I know I can't - I already can't remember similar moments I had w Yoav :( At least we have video - makes it a little easier than for our parents, although every time the camera comes out, the mood changes so I can't get the *real* memories....