Saturday, September 25, 2010

Devil's Elbow State Park



The fog was fascinating.  It definitely added to the drama :)  E and I were endlessly fascinated by the scenery, stopping at tiny pull off after tiny pull off to look over the cliffs at the blanketed ocean.  Occasionally we'd linger long enough that the child would climb out of the car to join us.  But, typically, he was so worn out from whatever previous hike he'd encountered that he was happy to wait in his booster seat :)  


Another roadside attraction....  I wonder if it was just "more trees" to the kid....


He did dismount for Devil's Elbow.  It was the most populated hike we took; there were at least a whole 8 other cars in the parking lot ;)  And I was bound and determined to get to the Scenic Light House Look-Over.  The child, was not.  He saw a small path leading off to gawd knows where and wanted to go there.  I'd skipped so many planned stops so far, loving my guys and following their hearts, knowing that none of those hikes or skipped sights really mattered anyhow, that I think I was feeling a bit frisky this go -around...  It was one of the few riffs we had the whole trip, with both of us acting a bit like a baby ;)  This, of course, is much more pathetic in someone of double digits...


At any rate, (and it was a slow, turtle's rate, let me tell you)  we took a few detours:


Can you find Phoenix?

and eventually made it to the lighthouse.  I will never forget the conversation the child and I had on the way up about love and friendship.  I learned a lot :)

Half way there....

After this delightful hike ;) we followed the kid's lead and had a heavenly time.  I don't want to paint the picture of a little tyrant here or anything, he just isn't into the whole self sacrifice thing quite yet, being only five and all ;)  I get it.  Sometimes I just forget....


The child's chosen path weaved its way to the most gorgeous view.  I'm not sure how we skipped taking a picture of the ocean filled gorge, I think we were all too enraptured to think of it.  And the flowers were like large white spaceships, that the child sooooo wanted to pick, but stuck to prodding at instead (in hopes that one would just topple over "naturally" and therefore be collectible;)   We cuddled and watched the huge waves whip us with salt spray.



And then, as E moved to go, P dashed down a different direction.  Following, (hey, I'm slow, but not totally idiotic, the lesson of the day was definitely wu wei) I saw my karmic prize for letting lose.  A really, really gorgeous little beach with a fab little kid cave.   Empty, serene, all ours.



The rocks en route were rougher than they appear here, so we gave P a little extra help.  And then played the tide away...



1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh that must have been the most amazing day! The photos are all so truly spectacular. I can't believe it was just one site after another like that. I have to go there sometime!!!