Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Birthday, Baby







E, trying to get a picture of P and I :)

We celebrated E's birthday this week.  (And my mom's last week - I love me some Virgos!!!)  Phoenix was adamant about finding presents for Papa (E and I never do gifts:)  So he wrapped a few treasured toys for his father last weekend.  Then, after counting his piggy bank holdings (and labeling different piles for different purposes: "toy mice" (the current collection of choice), "college savings" (I kid you not - where does he get this stuff?!?!), "toys and stuff", "charity" and "future house") he set aside a tiny pile for E.  I chuckled under my breath and the child pissily pointed out that he received birthday money in cards, and so should Papa :)

We also baked the poor hypoglycemic a cake, which can seem like an unthoughtful type of torture for the sugar averse, but we found an amazing recipe that wooed away E's sugar blues.  Black Bean Chocolate Cake.  This is not some sort of cocoa inspired chili nastiness, I swear.  And, though the reviews promised (non nasty) nirvana, the child and I certainly had doubts.  The smell was sweet while baking, but, really, cocoa in the oven can rarely stink.  While the child took his third bath for the day (he has a new tub tug boat) I whipped up my mom's famous frosting.  And crossed my fingers.

E loves chocolate flourless cake.  And, its true, there is no flour in this cake.  But it didn't have the consistency of flourless cake, per se.  Instead, it was a dead ringer for... a normal cake.  Normal meaning bean-free...  At any rate, it is a phenomenal fake.  And I know my cakes (20 years of vegetarianism didn't dim my sweet tooth).  It tastes just like chocolate cake.  But, as E pointed out, not just any chocolate cake, really good chocolate cake.  And the best part?  Our main man can eat it. It doesn't crash him.  And its actually packed with nutrition.  So, every night since his birthday, he's happily hummed his way to the fridge and cut himself a big piece.  Now, if that isn't a present for a dessert lovin' hypoglycemic, I don't know what is :)




Oh, an the 5?  It was the only candle we had :)  

No comments: