Friday, June 18, 2010

Scooby Adventures


Phoenix found some Scooby Doo books a while ago and instantly fell in love.  Though I greatly enjoyed the dog when I was a kid, I'm not a huge fan as an adult :)  Nevertheless, the child has found great joy reading these, despite realizing their total lack of logic ("Mama, if that octopus is a hologram, then how is it holding the door of the shed open?") 

Blessed be, the beauty of the books wore off fairly quickly, but they left behind a residue of vague adventure.  The idea of scary chase scenes and wacky, costumed rivals.  These seeds sprouted and the Scooby Adventures grew.

This basically means we all race around the park (typically after dinner), pretending we're looking for something and/or something is chasing us.  P is Scoob and E and I switch characters.  Its a very loose translation of the comic, typically amounting to little more than P answering to the name "Scoob" and yelling "Rummies!" whenever he wants to imbue our scoot with a little speed.

These evenings, though hell on my breakfast prep and dishwashing duty, are some of my most cherished moments.  Every time we zip through the park, zooming behind P's little legs, the dark coming, the woods scented in the evening air, I try to take mental pictures for my old age, memories to last my lifetime.  They are simply too sweet to ever forget.  There's something special about all of us playing together at dusk. 

We missed our Scooby Adventure last night and P requested one this afternoon.  E stays in the city on Fridays, so, free of a timeline, P and I headed into the park to chase "rummies."  Though the Scooby bit quickly went by the wayside, I think its quickly becoming code for "let's get lost in the woods"....

While it wasn't as magical as when E is around (E makes everything more magical:) we had such a lovely time that I had to pull out my phone.  It doesn't do the dancing shadows or the glowing greens any justice, but hopefully the pics will trigger the mind memories when I'm grey(er:)



Two roads diverged in a yellow wood....  I love aimlessly following paths with P!



P found a stick with real thorns.  He was thrilled.  We made homemade forks and spears....


We're reading "My side of the Mountain" (thanks for the rec, Jo!!!!) for our daytime book and P is loving it.  This boy, living off the land, by himself, has planted a love of the Catskills in P that is so strong it will probably grow my child's entire life.  As we sat in the shade, making our My Side inspired thorn forks today, I glanced down at the old bricks below.  When I pointed in surprise, P actually read/recognized the word.  This coincidence, of course, only reinforced his want to hike in the Catskills :)  

We're hoping to find a train north this weekend that will drop us off at a mountain for a really big "Scooby Adventure"....  Here's to the next post having Catskills-like backdrops!

No comments: