Sunday, November 8, 2009

Five is Fab too...




A lot has happened in the last two weeks. P lost his first (known) relative, had his first real birthday party, trick-or-treated in Brooklyn for the first time, trick-or-treated without me for the first time, started sleeping without me for the first time (with E instead), was overwhelmed by his first mob, and then flew to Kansas. Less novel playdates and lovely afternoons of joy (and occasionally confusion) separated all of these milestones. And a few more days will probably separate this post from more descriptive posts :) I just wanted to stop in and say it: P is 5.

He's been five for almost a week now. When asked, he says it feels just like four ;) And truth is, its just as sweet so far. He woke up on his birthday and noticed our new toilet paper hanging in the bathroom. The new grocery store sells a different brand promising to save the environment than the last one did, this one with a raised flower print. P has only ever seen plain potty paper. He unrolled a bit and held it out to me "Mama! Oh, Mama! This is Gorgeous! Isn't it beautiful! I love it!" It is in these moments that I'm suddenly confused as to how the small creature in front of me can ever heighten my hackles....

I wish I had birthday pics to share, but the shots are stuck on my camera until the transfer card is unearthed here in Kansas.... Therefore, one must pretend the very nearly five year old four year old shown above is, actually, five ;) Nonetheless, he did spend an hour watching this spider with me a few days before the Bday, and again after the bday, so its fairly factual ;) He's quite enamored with this large beauty (though BB was mortified to be held so close, separating window or no) and P has high hopes it will remain in his window until his return from Kansas.... And here I thought everything would seem so passe to a five year old, so very been there done that. Silly me. The kid is still smack dab in the awe stage, which is so awe inspiring to witness. I can honestly say it. I love five. Too :)

2 comments:

Shanna said...

Happy Birthday Phoenix!!! We've been thinking of you tons. Sorry we have been late in getting a birthday wish to you. sounds like so many changes have happened in your world. sorry to hear about the loss of a family member.

how long will you be in wichita? we are heading there for thanksgiving and would love to see you. we now have a 12 yr old korean exchange student, joey, as part of our family. with his arrival and a joyful abundance of visitors the past several weeks, our world has been a bit crazy.

looking forward to touching base.

love,
shanna and fam

Amie said...

Happy Birthday to Phoenix!! 5 will be fabulous too!! Amie