Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Testing Quote

I recently read a great quote concerning testing. Every teacher I know bemoans Bush's policy and most parents I know roll their eyes at all of the ridiculous testing in schools. It isn't working. This pretty much gets to the bottom of it:

"If you think you can improve education with a test, you must also think you can fatten a calf by weighing it."

I really appreciate this as an unschooling family too. Watching P and hearing some knew knowledge spout from him does feel warm and fuzzy; He's Learning! He's so smart! And other parental pride based bull. But really, the vital part in P's life is what P knows, not that I know he knows x, y or z... Sure, knowing where a kid is (can he converse? can he read yet?) developmentally is paramount to interacting with them. But really, I can learn more about P by playing with him than quizzing him or having him fill in small circles with a number 2!

No comments: