Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sitting vigil

For the third night in a row, I am sitting vigil. Waiting for P to get better, my poor, little stoic. His fever just isn't responding to meds, racing crazy high and he is miserable. Brief reprieves bring it only into the 102 range, poor kid. So I switch out ice packs and listen to him mutter in his nightmare filled semi-sleep. I am ready for summer.

He started antibiotics today with a dx for tonsillitis. I had assumed he had the silly fever flu Z had last week, until I saw his lymph nodes this morning. Oh, the swelling is unbelievable. And painful.

I laughed to the Dr. today that at least P was safe from seizures and she said, um, not with as high as his fever has been. Honestly, I don't think I can go there. Not P.

Sweet Z had another seizure last week. I was watching for it, keeping her medicated, staying up at night, checking her fever religiously, and still she had one. It was mid-day, which, ridiculously enough, made it so much easier, the darkness made the last one too confusing. She was in the wrap and I gently swayed her and told her it was gonna be Just Fine. We know this routine and we can totally handle it. Then she started going blue and then more blue and then she was just deathly blue with her eyes rolled back and she wasn't moving and it was awful.

Poor P, trying to call 911 again. Thank absolutely all that there is, Alicia came up to save us, talking to 911 while I buddy breathed with Z. I cannot stress how much I love being their neighbor every day. That emotion is in overdrive now :)

Z is completely fine. She walked funny for a day after that episode, but she is lovely and perfect now. But I think her fragility has imparted a new fragility on me. P has always felt strong to me, his illnesses never worry me. Now, I sit vigil. Of course, the flip side of worry is thankfulness, so there is that:)



No comments: