Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Vespa Riding


When P wasn't hauling us around on the John Deere, we could often be found flying about on his Vespa. My non-child height precluded my participation up front in the diminutive Deere, so P was pumped to find I fit his minty green go getter. Grabbing BB, he squeeched up close to his handle bars and beckoned me aboard. There was something precious about sitting behind such a small body, wrapping my arms around my wee son's waist as he yelled "hold on!" Obviously, if I went, I was taking him down with me, regardless of how sizable he was feeling ;)

The electric motor blew me away. Fully charged, we travelled back and forth to the barn over and over again. Then P figured we better follow Barry Bobbit up the drive to the highway and check the mail for Grams. It was a sunny day, what the hay. We could push the darn thing back when the battery died.

But it didn't! It carried the three of us all the way up and back, racking up well over a half mile that afternoon. It was a very s-l-o-w half mile by the time we finished it, but we made it :)

That day, P also made some important discoveries. First, the turbo button on his scooter (this pleased him greatly). Second, he learned how to lean (and not lean) into a turn while going turbo (which pleased me greatly... If the below video doesn't make you want to run across the drive and swoop up his little body, then you have no heart I tell you! Well, despite the fact that I obviously did not do that ;) A quiet nod and smile (followed by a hearty chuckle:) was all he needed. But watching the video makes me want to hug him now!)

The fact that BB was the obstacle course almost goes without saying ;)



No comments: