Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Holiday Heaven

(Mom, Dad, if you click on the four little arrows at the bottom right of the video - it makes it bigger.  And Podi, that's a little Ellis for ya;)

Oh my.  The child had sooo much fun today :)  First, after watching the little neighbor girl do fireworks in her driveway at bedtime last night, the child woke up TWO HOURS early, excited to purchase such amazing possibilities.  (Yah, he'd seen the big ones in Brooklyn, but had no idea private sized beauties could be had...)

Off to the shop across the street before breakfast... only to find out that those were glorified confetti makers.  He came home with a slew of them anyway.  Me, remembering the confetti mess of 2009 (after the Chinese New Year's confetti maker bombed our bathroom....) I was hesitant :)   But who am I kidding?  We cleared some space and set to mess making.  The child was adorably jumpy.  Each time E pulled a string, the blast made the kid shiver from head to toe.  It was so innocently precious.  Eventually, he shot some off himself and then could settle down to eat :)

Then the boys left for Mount Hood's Skibowl Park.  I really, really needed to clean and was excited to get things in order (to simplify the parenting/homeschooling/homemaking/unpacking/nesting dance this week), but... felt massively disappointed I stayed home as soon as I heard the car doors slam shut. I really like hanging with my boys :)

Photo fun courtesy of Ethan.  Thanks for taking some pics E!




But they had a blast.  Canoe rides, pony rides, go carts, alpine slides, ball pits, you name it, they did it.  But the fave of the day, was the bungee swing.  The child was glowing when he trudged through the door tonight...

Bearing a bag of real fireworks.  Bought at a real roadside stand.  (It kills me when I miss firsts!  My only saving grace is how excited he is to tell me all about it:)  Once again, eating, of course, took the back seat and he pulled a starving Papa outside...

After a late dinner, E went to bed and I was on firework duty.  The sky (finally - it was nearing 10!) grew darkish and there were explosions ALL around us.  The kid mentioned it was a little nerve wracking, having booms every which way:)  (Apparently, there was a fear concerning them falling on his head!)  And he wasn't totally interested yet in lighting the short wicked wonders himself, instructing me, instead, to be very careful, light it, now RUN Mama!!!!

Honestly, I'm so not into fireworks :)  I mean, the lights are beautiful and all, but the booms are a bit much.  And then there's the waste and the resources and the pollution... and I can't help worrying about the birds and the other critters...  But there was no way I was going to let my personal baggage weigh the kid down, so I took a deep breath (of the smoke filled air;) and watched his wonder.  Now that is something I can get behind ;)

And as he watched a little colorful sparkler sputter and spray, he murmured, "Its rather enchanting, isn't it?"  He stood there, transfixed, for another minute, and then just had to jump up and down a little bit from all of the happiness.  I freakin' love kids.

After a few more runs I suggested we check out the light show seemingly a few houses down (big booms and lots of high illegals;)  We walked around the corner and found a few families lighting big ones in the street, so we copped a squat and cuddled in the cool air to watch.  His commentary was so sweet and his appreciation so high that I loved it too.

Exhausted once that show was over, we walked back to our house for bed... only to find a slightly older crowd with slightly larger, louder explosions directly across from our house.  We sat on our stoop for a bit, then moved upstairs to the bedroom window to watch.  Poor, poor Ethan.  Obviously, the street party was making his night time slumbers challenging.  Even for a super Schultz sleeper, it was LOUD.

Eventually I was able to coax the child into bed, where he almost immediately passed out.  Despite the ongoing party.  That keeps waking E at odd intervals, only to make him sleepily curse and turn over.  Then I giggle :)  And the child, he doesn't even stir.  It was a Big (beautiful) Day.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Love it! Gawd, I'm such a sap. I have happy tears. xox