Monday, February 14, 2011

Sublime at six


Seems there are a lot of surprises at six.  Larger, louder movements.  Powerful passions.  Constant problem solving.  And big questions and theories.  And even some moments of independent invention.  The child was gone into the bathroom for just a few minutes the other day.  Later, when I walked in, well, up there's what I found, after he, apparently, found my packet of headbands :)  Hearing me, he called to me from the other room, "Mama, what are you laughing about in there?"  Hehe.

Then, yesterday, as he dangled and danced in his swing, he pondered, stuff.  "I would rather you die than I die, Mama.  (Pause.)  But if you hadn't ever been, then I wouldn't be.....  (Pause.) If Grams hadn't been, I wouldn't be.  If her Grams hadn't ever been... I wouldn't be!  If Grandpapa hadn't of been, I wouldn't be!  If Grams' great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great Grama hadn't have ever been, I wouldn't be....  (Long Pause) Mama, is everyone related?  Do we all come from just two people?  Did everyone start by just one Grams and one Gramps?"  I thought this was pretty deep shit for someone untouched by the whole Adam and Eve theory. After all, washing dishes while he worked through it all, I'd ventured nothing further upstairs than whether or not I should get a new sponge...

And the curiosity.  Today, as he turned off the lamp, he just sat there for a minute, sloppy grin, true appreciation.  Then, "Mama, isn't it amazing!  How do they trap sunlight in that lightbulb?  Its amazing it can do that..."

Then, tonight, E, the PC guy, was trying to figure something out on the Mac.  He muttered, "How do I get a menu here...."  The child, sitting nearby, innocently responded, "Order a pizza?"

Six.  Love it.

No comments: